Working at Banyule
When you join Banyule Council you join a team of committed and experienced professionals who are working to improve the way we deliver services and value to the local community.
From engineering, urban planning and development, parks, IT, childcare, youth services, human resources, communications and more, the work you’ll do at Banyule Council will benefit many.
We need smart, experienced professionals who take pride in their work to help us realise our ambitions goals. We know that you’ll expect a great deal from us too, that’s why we invest in new technologies, promote a flexible work place, and offer programs and benefits to make this a great place to work.
Employer of choice
Our values of respect, integrity, inclusion, responsibility and initiative help us remain an employer of choice.
We value a winning attitude, a can-do approach and the courage to do things differently. We will encourage you to try again and achieve your best work with the support of the teams around you.
You’ll love working with us.
Our staff benefits aim to ensure that our employees are rewarded, valued, supported and achieve a work-life balance.
Banyule City Council supports breastfeeding women and their child. We have facilities at our Greensborough office for our working mothers. We have also recently gained accreditation from the Australia Breastfeeding Association.
Flexible working conditions
We want our staff to enjoy work-life balance and be able to manage their family responsibilities. Alternative working arrangements for our staff include:
- job share and/or part-time working arrangements
- home-based working arrangements
- phased retirement
- after-hours dependent care provisions.
Staff requests for flexible arrangements are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Our leave entitlements include:
- annual leave: permanent full-time staff are entitled to 4 weeks annual leave per year and part-time staff receive pro-rata entitlement based on hours worked;
- sick leave: permanent full-time employees are entitled to 12 days sick leave per year of employment (pro-rata for permanent part-time staff);
- rostered days off: most full-time positions provide for a rostered day off. Indoor staff are generally entitled to a 19-day month and outdoor staff to a 9-day fortnight;
- paid parental and adoption leave;
- leave purchasing options;
- leave without pay for extended periods of leave;
- study leave and assistance;
- defence services and emergency services leave;
- additional personal leave for emergency situations;
- access to pro-rata long service leave after 7 years;
- family violence leave; and
- cultural and ceremonial leave.
Employees are able to salary sacrifice part of their pre-tax salary for benefits such as superannuation, child care fees (where Council manages the child care centre) and leisure facility memberships (where Council manages the leisure centre).
Professional development and study assistance
We support employees to pursue learning and development opportunities that are related to their work with us.
We offer in-house opportunities and encourage staff to undertake a range of external courses and attend seminars and conferences relevant to their work.
Study assistance supports the development of staff and helps us to ensure that we have enough staff certified in quality, OH&S and environmental standards.
Health and wellbeing program
Our staff can access:
- discounted gym membership fees at the Ivanhoe Aquatic Centre and Olympic Leisure Centre (for full time or part time employees);
- discounted private health insurance;
- free personal counselling and referral service for all employees and their immediate family members; and
- opportunities to get fit and a range of activities that promote work-life balance.
For more information about working for Banyule, please contact our People & Culture team on 9490 4222.