Footpath trading: furniture, signs, displays of goods
A permit is required for outdoor eating facilities, chairs and tables, the placement of goods or other items on footpaths, or the display of signs within Banyule.
Footpath trading policy
We encourage footpath trading activities that make our commercial areas busy, vibrant and viable. Our Footpath Trading Policy(PDF, 469KB) explains how those businesses can operate in a way that leaves footpaths clear, safe and unobstructed for pedestrians.
This policy explains the restrictions, requirements and responsibilities of businesses trading on our footpaths. It includes:
- the size, type and structural stability of stands used to display goods on the footpath
- use of outdoor heaters, umbrellas or speakers
- the number, size and type of style you can display for your business
- barriers, planter boxes etc.
This permit is required by General Local Law No. 1 (2015).
Apply for a permit
- advertising sign (maximum 1) $200 per year
- chairs and tables (maximum 12 seats) $220 per year
- display of goods $270 per year
Apply for a footpath trading permit
For more information contact us on 9490 4222.