Footpath trading: furniture, signs, displays of goods
A permit is required for outdoor eating facilities, chairs and tables, the placement of goods or other items, or the display of signs, on footpaths within Banyule City Council.
Apply for a permit
Footpath trading permit application(PDF, 285KB)
Pay the relevant fee:
- Advertising sign (maximum 1) $200 per year
- Chairs and tables (maximum 12 seats) $220 per year
- Display of goods $270 per year
- Itinerate trader $1,460 (per day)
- Real estate advertising sign $570 per year.
You are required to supply a Certificate of Currency for Public Liability insurance of $20 million.
Footpath trading policy
We encourage footpath trading activities that make our commercial areas busy, vibrant and viable. This policy explains how those businesses can operate in a way that leaves footpaths clear, safe and unobstructed for pedestrians.
This policy explains the restrictions, requirements and responsibilities of businesses trading on our footpaths. It includes:
- the size, type and structural stability of stands used to display goods on the footpath
- use of outdoor heaters, umbrellas or speakers
- the number, size and type of style you can display for your business
- barriers, planter boxes etc.
Read our Footpath Trading Policy(PDF, 469KB)
This permit is required by General Local Law No. 1 (2015).
For more information contact us on 9490 4222.