Parking fines

Pay your parking fine

You can pay your fine online, by phone or in person. Ask us about a payment plan 9058 6626.

Pay your parking fine online

View parking images

Check the details of your parking infringement.

Review photos now

Let us know that you weren’t the driver

If you are the registered owner of a car that has been issued a parking fine but you weren’t the driver at the time, you can nominate the person responsible(PDF, 390KB) for the infringement notice.

Contest a parking fine

You need to let us know that you wish to appeal a fine in writing, and before the payment due date.

We will not accept the following excuses. You:

  • are new to the area
  • were in a meeting or appointment that ran over time
  • bought a ticket but it wasn’t displayed correctly on the dashboard (face down or blown off dashboard)
  • didn't see or misread the signs
  • don’t know the rules e.g. no parking in a loading zone
  • ran out of petrol
  • locked your keys in the car
  • bought more than one ticket to cover the extra time
  • are a first-time parking offender
  • forgot to check the parking signs
  • were in a hurry
  • didn’t find an available car parking space
  • parked illegally for a very short time
  • stopped to let a passenger in or out of or to make a quick delivery
  • stopped to answer a phone call, or respond to a text
  • are in financial difficulty
  • are a ratepayer or business owner within Banyule.

You can contest a fine if:

  • you believe you didn’t commit an offence
  • the parking signs were not present, not visible, or not clear
  • the issuing officer made a mistake, or acted unfairly or improperly
  • you were not the driver at the time of offence
  • your personal situation means you can’t understand signs
  • you found yourself in an exceptional circumstance, which was unforeseen, unpreventable and very unlikely to occur again.
  • you are homeless
  • you are experiencing family violence.

If your situation does not fall into these groups, you must pay the fine. We can only review a fine once.

Information we need to review your parking infringement

When you ask us to review your fine you have to write to us and provide us with the following information:

  • your name and address
  • the infringement number
  • car registration number
  • why you think your infringement should be reviewed
  • documents that are proof of your situation at the time of the infringement.

For example:

If you experienced a mechanical breakdown, you will need to provide an invoice for mechanical/roadside assistance or towing. We won't consider cases where you were parked illegally before you broke down.

If you experienced a medical emergency, you will need to provide a letter from the hospital or treating medical practitioner confirming the emergency at time of offence. If you were not the patient then a carers' certificate will be required.

If your objection relates to a parking permit, provide the permit number, expiry date, issuing council and a copy of the permit.

If the notice was issued contrary to the law you need to provide photographs of parking signage or witness statements.

How to request a review

You must ask for a review of your fine in writing. You can write us a letter, send us an email or fill out our form:

Infringement Review Request form

Note: requests for reviews are not accepted via social media.

You must include your current address and the grounds for review.

What happens next

When we receive your application for an infringement review we have 90 days to review your information, the information of the parking officer and relevant rules and legislation. We will post you a letter advising you of our decision.

Council may decide to:

  • confirm the decision to serve the infringement notice
  • withdraw the infringement notice and serve an official warning
  • withdraw the infringement notices
  • withdraw the infringement notice and refer the matter to court (Magistrates or Children’s Court)
  • waive all or any prescribed costs
  • approve a payment arrangement.

If you do not agree with Council’s decision you may elect to have the matter heard in Court or you may apply to Director, of Fines Victoria to apply for a Work and Development Permit.