Banyule City Council is committed to the protection of your rights to privacy. We collect, use and disclose personal information in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014, the Health Records Act 2001 and other applicable legislation.
Collection of your personal information
We usually collect personal information (including sensitive information) from you or your authorised representative to:
- make subsequent contact
- confirm correct property ownership within Councils' boundaries
- allocate rate liability
- undertake specific client functions within various service environments.
We also collect personal information through our websites and social networking services such as Facebook and Twitter. We use this information to improve our website and receive feedback from the community.
Protecting personal information
Council respects all personal and confidential information you give us and will do everything possible to protect information from unauthorised access, loss or misuse.
Information is collected from many different sources for instance electoral rolls, rates and pet registration databases, specific user groups and e-mail. This information may be used by Council to conduct market research and customer satisfaction surveys so that we better understand community needs and can improve our services. It is not our policy to share the information collected with other organisations.
We will record your details if you send us an enquiry, a customer request or comment. These will be used for Council purposes and will not be disclosed without your consent.
Read our policy(PDF, 196KB)
Updating your personal details
If you need to change your personal details, please send your changes to Banyule City Council, PO Box 94, Greensborough 3088.
Our website and your information
You can access and browse our website anonymously, without disclosing personal information. However, when you visit our website, information is collected about you using a cookie. Cookies are small temporary files, containing information that a website can transfer to a computer to track your website visiting patterns and preferences.
Information we collect online
The following non-personal information is automatically recorded by our website for statistical and system administration purposes:
- your IP address - a numerical code to identify your device and can provide information about the city you are based
- your browsing history of the content you visited on our site, including details on how you arrived to our site via another website
- details of your device, for example, the unique device ID, unique advertising ID and browsers used to access our content.
This data is aggregated and used to establish information about the number and duration of visits to our website, and the popularity of different areas of our website. We do not attempt to identify individuals from this information, unless it is necessary to investigate a breach of law or regulation.
Any information provided to us through the use of forms will only be used for the purposes it was collected and for any other authorised use. It may also be used for our own planning and research purposes to improve how we provide services to you. It will not be disclosed to third parties unless required or authorised by law.
- The Google Analytics Advertising Features you've implemented.
- How you and third-party vendors use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) or other first-party identifiers, and third-party cookies (such as Google advertising cookies) or other third-party identifiers together.
- How visitors can opt-out of the Google Analytics Advertising Features you use, including through Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means (for example, the NAI's consumer opt-out).
We also encourage you to point users to Google Analytics' currently available opt-outs for the web.
- An appropriate description of how you're using remarketing or similar audiences to advertise online.
- A message about how third-party vendors, including Google, show your ads on sites across the Internet.
Payment transactions made on this web-site occur directly between your credit card provider and our gateway providers, Australia Post, Stripe or Commonwealth Bank (bPoint). We cannot access any of your credit card details.
Linking to other sites
This site provides links to other sites as a community service. Council is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of those sites and recommends that you refer to their respective privacy statements.
For more information please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org