Social Support Program

Our program assists socially isolated elderly residents aged 65 and over (50 and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander residents) to participate in community-based social activities.

It is funded through the Commonwealth Home Support Program and managed through My Aged Care.

We provide door-to-door transport to our Social Support Centre in Ivanhoe. There, we facilitate a range of activities including gentle exercise, concerts, guest speakers, discussion groups, art and craft workshops, gardening tutorials and a range of bus outings to interesting venues.

We also provide a freshly prepared lunch and morning tea.

Participating in the program

There is an assessment and referral process to get involved.

How to get your referral

Step 1.Contact My Aged Care

My Aged Care is an Australian Government service that considers your needs and the services you are interested in.

The first step to access government-funded aged care services is to check your eligibility for a face-to-face assessment.

Request an assessment

Step 2.Ask for a referral

If successful, you will be referred for a face-to-face assessment done in person at your own home.

You can ask for a referral to the Banyule Social Support Group as part of your in-person assessment.

Step 3.Assessment

My Aged Care will then assess your situation and the services available to you. If that assessment finds you a good fit for our program, they will approach us directly with your contact details.

Otherwise, you will be provided with alternative options and support services to contact.

Step 4.Outcome

You can expect to hear from us within 5 business days following your referral.