Facility subsidy grants
We manage a wide range of community centres, halls and venues that are available for hire by the community.
Rental fees for these facilities can sometimes limit opportunities for groups to access them. This grant program provides subsidised hire to not-for-profit groups in the Banyule community.
The following venues in Banyule are part of the Facility Subsidy program:
- The Conder Room: The Centre Ivanhoe
- The Great Hall: The Centre Ivanhoe
- The McCubbin Room: The Centre Ivanhoe
- The Streeton Room: The Centre Ivanhoe
- The Withers Room: The Centre Ivanhoe
- Briar Hill Community Hall
- Bundoora Community Hall
- Grace Park Community Hall
- Greensborough Senior Citizens (Henry Street Community Hall)
- Greensborough War Memorial Park Rotunda
- Hawdon Street Community Hall (Warringal Senior Citizens)
- Heidelberg Rotunda
- Ivanhoe Senior Citizens
- Lower Plenty Senior Citizens
- Macleod Community Hall
- Old Shire Offices
- Petrie Park Community Hall
- Watsonia Community Hall.
Contact Nicole Leung on 9490 4302 to discuss options if your preferred venue is not on the list.
The grant pool for 2019/2020 is $18,907.
The maximum subsidy available is $1100. These are not cash grants but are a Subsidy Grant which will reduce the hire fee.
Please note that the grants do not subsidise:
- entertainment, equipment, and catering costs
- hire of venues for rehearsals
- public Liability Insurance
- bonds or deposits
- private functions, e.g. 21st birthdays, engagements, school reunions.
Applications for the Facility Subsidy Grant will be accepted from June 2019 until 31 May 2020.
The 2019/2020 grant round covers the use of community facilities within the financial year 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020.
Please note that the grant round will close earlier if funds are exhausted prior to the closing date.
- be a not-for-profit group/organisation or educational facility;
- be incorporated or have appropriate auspice support;
- have public liability insurance providing a cover of at least $20million;
- be incorporated or be auspiced by an incorporated organisation;
- provide a service to local residents: a minimum of 75% of the group's participants must be Banyule residents;
- not have a debt to Council unless there is a payment plan or agreement in place; and
- not have outstanding grant acquittals for Banyule Council grants.
Facility booking process
Before completing your application, you need to make a tentative booking of the facility by contacting the booking office on 9490 4302 or email email@example.com
You will receive a booking number, which you will need to quote on the grant application form.
A deposit or bond is required with all bookings regardless of the grant being approved. If your event is reliant on receiving funding for it to occur and you do not receive a grant, your deposit/bond will be refunded.
Read the Facilitiy Subsidy Grants Guidelines(DOC, 93KB)
- read these guidelines and apply only if eligible
- complete an application form online and provide all supporting documentation.
Need help? Contact the SmartyGrants help desk directly on 9320 6888.
If your group is to be auspiced by another organisation, all insurance, incorporation and ABN information of the auspicing group must be provided as well as a letter from the auspice organisation on letterhead stating support as an auspice.
Applications will be assessed on submission and applicants will be notified of the outcome by email.
Everyone involved in assessing applications must sign our Conflict of Interest declaration to ensure any interests are declared prior.
Grant recipients are asked to acknowledge Council's contribution by including the Banyule City Council logo on promotional material. A copy of the logo is available from the Communications Department, contacted on 9490 4310.
Please note that self-catering is permitted at most community halls, however not allowed at The Centre Ivanhoe.
For more information contact us on phone 9490 4222.