We maintained a Candidate Information Request Register that hosts all requests for information of a non-election nature by all candidates, and the responses given to those requests.
View the Candidate Information Request Register
What to expect as a councillor
As a councillor, you will perform a diverse range of tasks. Council meetings are held approximately every 3 weeks on a Monday, with councillor briefing sessions held every other Monday. We have multiple advisory committees that councillors can elect to be part of.
The part-time role of a councillor is often undertaken while juggling family, community and paid work responsibilities: it will be up to you to determine how much time you spend on Council matters.
As a councillor, you will make important decisions on behalf of the community, including:
- providing leadership and good governance to the community;
- developing and maintaining community infrastructure like roads, drains, footpaths, building, recreation facilities and parks and gardens;
- managing budgets;
- planning for the future growth and development of the whole municipality;
- contributing to policy and programs that impact the community;
- provide a diverse range of property, economic, human, recreational and cultural services; and
- reinforcing state and local laws relating to environmental protection, public health, traffic and parking and animal management.
The Victorian Government have built a comprehensive guide about local councils and how they work.
A comprehensive induction for all councillors is undertaken at the start of each term, and continued training opportunities are offered throughout the entire term.
At the beginning of an elected term, all councillors are offered equipment to undertake their new roles, including a computer and mobile phone.
Financial allowances are provided within limits set by the Victorian Government, and include travel allowance for Council-related meetings and childcare.
Effective 1 December 2019
- Councillor $31,444
- Mayoral $100,434
If you want to know more contact our Governance team on 9490 4222.