Objecting to a planning application

When we receive a planning application that may have a significant impact on our community, we are required to advertise it.

Anybody can find out more information, comment on or object to an application.

Get the facts and detail

It is important that you understand the details of the proposal before providing a comment or objection.

Full application documents and plans are available during the public notification period. You can view them:

If you have any questions, call us on 9490 4222 and ask to speak to the planning officer managing the application.

Object or comment

Step 1.Submit your objection or comment

Your online objection or comment cannot be treated as private or confidential. It will be open for public viewing with copies provided at request.

Object to or comment on an application

Step 2.Confirmation

We will email you to confirm that we have received your objection or comment.

Step 3.Informing the permit applicant

The applicant is then informed of all objections and comments.

They can request to view these before our decision is made or any preliminary review date.

Personal contact details - phone numbers and email - will be redacted for privacy.

Step 4.Assessment

Once the public notification period is over, we will consider the application and all formally submitted objections.

Comments will be noted, but not responded to.

You can discuss your objection with a planning officer to identify changes that address your concerns.

If you objected, you may be invited to a consultation meeting with any other objectors, the permit applicant, our planning officer and the relevant ward councillor.

Step 5.Decision

The application will either be supported for approval through a Notice of Decision or refused by a Notice of Refusal.

Step 6.Next steps

You can withdraw your objection.

If we issue a Notice of Decision, you can appeal against that decision at Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

If we refuse the application, the applicant can also appeal at VCAT.

Withdrawing an objection

If you are satisfied with the outcome of the permit application, or you do not wish to pursue your objection, you can withdraw it by writing to us.

However, by doing this, you lose your right to apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a review of the ultimate decision.

Appealing at VCAT

For objectors

If a Notice of Decision is issued, there is a 28-day review period for you to lodge an appeal with VCAT.

If no appeals are lodged with VCAT, the planning permit is issued 28 days after the decision.

For permit applicants

If a Notice of Refusal is issued, you need to be aware that there is a 60-day review period for the permit applicant to lodge an appeal with VCAT.

As an objector, you will be notified if the permit applicant lodges such an appeal and invited to take part in the review process.