Your Garbage Bin
Place these items in your Garbage Bin
- Plastic Bags
- Ceramics, Pyres, globes or broken glass
- Animal waste
- Plastic wrap
Only waste that cannot be reused, recycled or composted.
No hot ash or liquids.
Please bag or wrap all garbage.
- Rubbish, nappies (wrapped), ceramics, meat etc
- Window and drinking glass (wrapped), mirrors, light globes and hear proof glass such as Pyrex.
- Other plastics, eg plastic bags, plastic wrap and polystyrene
No extra bags placed beside your garbage bin will be collected.
How to use your Garbage Bin
- Place material in the bin so that it will be emptied completely
- Bin lid must be closed
- Unwrapped dust can cause breathing problems and eye injuries to drivers.
Add your vacuum cleaner dust to your compost bin
Putting chemicals in the garbage bin to go to landfill causes environmental problems.
Chemicals can be taken to one of Sustainability Victoria's chemical collection days.
Items that can be taken to the collection are:
- Engine fluids
- Gardening chemicals
- acids and alkalis (swimming pool chemicals)
- Cleaning products
- Solvents and glues
For dates and locations visit www.sustainability.vic.gov.au
Oil and water based paints, gas cylinders, motor oil, batteries and florescent tubes can be taken free of charge to the Banyule Waste Recovery Centre.
Almost all of your garden and kitchen waste can be composted and turned into excellent nutrition for you garden. For more information visit www.sustainability.vic.gov.au
Food Waste Recycling
Domestic Bio Digester Green Cone - see links under Related information above.
All food waste can be disposed of quickly at home
The absence of food waste means your garbage bin remains dry and odour free
Less frequent collection of your garbage bin
Saves up to 25% of household waste having to be collected by Council
Reduces waste to landfill
To purchase a Green Cone phone Customer service 9490 4222