Banyule Logo
Text Size:

Immunisation Services

Influenza vaccinations

Throughout May to August we are offering the flu shot (influenza vaccine) at our immunisation sessions.

To get the flu shot:

  • Register and book your spot in June 2019.
  • Throughout July and August come to one of the many immunisation sessions to get your flu shot. No registration needed. 

Influenza viruses change every year. Each year a new vaccine is developed (usually called the seasonal flu vaccine) which includes protection against 4 strains of influenza.

A free influenza vaccine is available for babies from 6 months of age to under 5 years.

The influenza vaccine is also available to purchase at $25 per dose (EFTPOS only) for people not eligible for the free influenza program.


No Jab No Pay

Have you received a letter from Centrelink in relation to your child’s immunisation?

Due to the changes to the Government requirements around immunisation, a number of parents have received letters from either Centrelink or Medicare notifying them that their child is overdue for vaccines. Unfortunately, these letters do not provide parents with enough information to resolve their issues.

Centrelink payments are linked to the vaccinations that your child should have received by their 5th birthday.

The secondary school vaccinations are not always listed on the Australian Immunisation Register and are not linked to Centrelink payments.

If your child was born overseas or received any vaccinations overseas these need to be notified to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). To update these vaccinations you can either visit your GP to have them notify the Register or contact Banyule Council Health Department.

If your child is fully vaccinated and there are overdue vaccines listed, you need to contact your immunisation provider.

If your child has completed all required vaccines the issue could also be that there is no link between the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) and Centrelink’s records. Parents can create the link on line as follows:

  • Go to your Centrelink online account through MyGov and check the “my profile” function. This link cannot be created by Council or a GP; or
  • Contact either Families (131 650) or AIR (1800 653 809) areas of the Department of Health & Human Services.

If your child has not received all the required vaccines (up until the age of 7 years) you need to contact your immunisation provider.

Am I eligible for the Immunisation and Family Assistance Payments?

Your child must be up to date with immunisation, or have an exemption to be eligible to receive the Family Care Benefit. For more information contact Centrelink.

No Jab, No Play

Before enrolling a child into childcare or kindergarten parents/guardians must first provide evidence that the child is:

  • Fully immunised for their age or
  • On a recognised vaccination catch up program or
  • Unable to be fully immunised for medical reasons.

This legislation came into effect on 1 January 2016.

Where and when can I go for an immunisation?

All details about our public immunisation sessions can be found on the Public Immunisation Sessions / Locations page. 

Please note that on days that are declared Code Red in the Central District which affects Banyule we will not be able to conduct immunisation sessions at the Heidelberg venue located at 60 Beverley Road Heidelberg. 

What is the School Immunisation Program?

Banyule Council Immunisation Services visits all secondary schools in Banyule to provide free vaccines to all eligible students.


Year 7 students are offered:

  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
  • Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis

Year 10 students are offered:

  • Meningococcal ACWY

To obtain more information for parents of school-aged children please visit the Department of Health & Human Services website.

What are the benefits of immunisation?

  • Immunisation is an effective way of reducing the spread of infectious diseases in the community. The risks of immunisation are far less than catching the disease itself.
  • Common side-effects are usually mild and temporary.
  • Since immunisation reduces your risk of catching a disease, you avoid the cost, inconvenience and suffering of illness.
  • If more people in the community are immunised, it is more difficult for infections to spread, which can minimise or eliminate serious diseases in our community, countries and worldwide.

Am I eligible for free vaccines?

Infants, children, adolescents, adults and special risk groups are eligible to receive some vaccines for free under the National Immunisation Program (NIP). The Victorian Government also funds the provision of some vaccines that are not included under the NIP.

You can see the criteria for eligibility on the Victorian Government’s health website.

If you do not meet the funded criteria but want to be vaccinated, speak to your local doctor about paying for the vaccines on prescription.

What can I expect at an immunisation session for infants?

Details on infant immunisation sessions can be found in our Infant Immunisation brochure.

Where can I view the recommended schedule?

The National Immunisation Schedule for Victoria can be viewed on the Health Victoria website

Is information on immunisations available in languages other than English?

Yes, it is available here

Does my child have to have a Primary School Entry Immunisation Status Certificate?

A child must have an immunisation status certificate to enrol in primary school.

Children starting school are exposed to a large number of people and a range of potentially dangerous diseases. Immunisation is a proven and safe way to protect children against diseases that cause serious illness and sometimes death.

An immunisation status certificate is a statement:

  • Listing the vaccinations a child has received
  • Required for enrolment into a Victorian primary school
  • Used to assist health authorities to protect children in the event of a vaccine preventable disease outbreak at school. An unvaccinated child may be excluded from school for a period of time.

Homeopathic treatment is not a legally recognised form of immunisation and cannot be listed on an immunisation status certificate.

The most common type of immunisation status certificate is a Child History Statement from the Australian Immunisation Register. Parents and guardians will be sent this statement when their child turns 5 years old, but can be requested at any time.

Parents or guardians should contact the Australian Immunisation Register if they:

  • Are moving or have recently moved, to ensure their contact details are up to date
  • Think their child’s statement is incomplete or incorrect.
  • If your child has completed all immunisations and you have not received a statement, or if you have lost your child’s history statement.

The Australian Immunisation Register can be contacted as follows:

Tel: 1800 653 809

Catch Up Vaccinations

Catch up vaccination records can be quite complex and therefore may not be able to be processed at Public Sessions. Our preference is for you to visit one of our Customer Service Centres to enable the vaccination records to be analysed and a catch up program worked out. If you have any queries please call the Banyule Council Health Department on 9457 9964.

Was this page useful?

Type the characters you see in the picture below *