Banyule Logo
Text Size:

Home-based food businesses

If you are looking at setting up a food business from home, your business will need to meet the same requirements as a business operating from a commercial property.All food businesses must be registered under the Food Act 1984.

Council’s Health Services have put together guidelines for setting up a home-based food business to help you when setting up your business.  The requirements that apply will depend upon the risk classification and type of business you propose.  To discuss your proposal with the Health Services team please complete and submit the submission form contained in the guidelines, as this will enable us to provide you with better information specific to your proposal.

Before proceeding with the set-up of your business, it is recommended that you submit plans for assessment or request an inspection, to avoid costly mistakes.

In addition, if you will be selling pre-packaged food, correct labelling will be required on the food. For more information about labelling refer to the guidelines and the Australian food standards website.

For more information on risk classification, structural requirements, training and other requirements, refer to the Food Businesses page of Council’s website.