Banyule Logo
Text Size:

Reformed Residential Zones

On 1 July 2014, the Victorian Government introduced new residential zone across Victoria.

All residentially zoned land is now included in one of the reformed residential zones and the previous residential zones have been removed from the planning system. In the Banyule Planning Scheme, the previous Residential 1 Zone has been replaced with the Neighbourhood Residential Zone (NRZ), General Residential Zone (GRZ), and Residential Growth Zone (RGZ). The map shown in ‘Related Information’ indicates the locations of the new zones and schedules.

The Neighbourhood Residential Zone, and Banyule’s Schedule 3 to the NRZ (NRZ3) applies to the areas with high vegetation, environmental, heritage, and landscape value. It limits development to a maximum of two dwellings per lot and has a height limit of 8 metres.

The General Residential Zone applies to most residential areas in Banyule, where moderate housing growth that respects valued neighbourhood character is anticipated. Schedule 1 to the GRZ (GRZ1) applies to the accessible residential areas and Schedule 2 to the GRZ (GRZ2) applies to the incremental residential areas in Banyule. The accessible and incremental areas are described in Clause 21.06 of the Banyule Planning Scheme.

The Residential Growth Zone applies to areas that could provide opportunities for higher density housing. Schedule 1 to the RGZ (RGZ1) and Schedule 2 to the RGZ (RGZ2) apply to activity areas and strategic sites and in Banyule. 

More information about the introduction of the zones, including factsheets, is available from the Department of Environment, Land, Water, and Planning (DELWP) website.

In 2015 the State Government appointed the Managing Residential Development Advisory Committee, to consider the way the reformed residential zones were implemented and to review the current application of the zones. After consulting with Councils in 2015-16, the Committee were to report to the Minister for Planning on July 2016.  More information on the Committee and their process is available from the DEWLP website.