Children's Week is an annual event celebrated across Australia in the fourth week of October. It aims to raise awareness of children’s rights and celebrates their abilities, accomplishments and talents. Every year Banyule Council, community groups and early childhood services invite children and their families, schools, playgroups, childcare, kindergartens, cultural groups and community groups to be involved.
Children’s Week 2017 - 21-29 October
This year, the Children’s Week national theme - Education should develop each child’s personality and talents to the full. It should encourage children to respect their parents, their cultures and other cultures - is based on Article 29 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
This theme invites us all to think about the role of education in the lives of children; its importance in helping children to develop skills and talents to the fullest and to respect and value, their parents and culture, the natural environment and the rights of others.
Celebrate Children’s Week 2017 with your family by attending one of the many events happening in your neighbourhood, including these free community events:
Tuesday 24 October, 3.30pm-5pm, Family Games Afternoon in Malahang Reserve
- Malahang Reserve, Corner of Southern and Oriel Road, Heidelberg West.
- Free BBQ and giant board games in the park.
- Suitable for all ages.
- No bookings required - children must be supervised by an adult.
Thursday 26th October, 10am-Noon, Celebrating 100 years of the Maternal and Child Health Service in Brown’s Reserve
- Brown’s Reserve, Albion Crescent, Greensborough.
- A gentle walk through Brown’s Reserve followed by light refreshments and nature activities for children.
- Suitable for all ages.
- Places limited. Book for adults and children.
Thursday 26 October, 4pm, Access For All Areas Film Festival - Children's Short Films Screening
- Ivanhoe Library, 255 Upper Heidelberg Road Ivanhoe Victoria.
- This special screening includes 50 minutes of short films made by children for children.
- Suitable for children aged 6 to 12 years.
- For more information visit Yarra Plenty Regional Library.
Friday 27 October, 10am-Noon, Bush Playgroup for Grandparents in Rosanna Parklands
- Rosanna Parklands, Crampton Crescent, Rosanna.
- Wear your all weather clothing and be part of nature play activities and story time with the Rosanna Library.
- Suitable for children under 6 and their grandparents.
- Places limited. Book adults and children here.
Sunday 29 October, 10am-Noon, Nature Play - Andrew Yandell Reserve, 37 St Helena Road, Greensborough
- Andrew Yandell Reserve, 37 St Helena Road, Greensborough
- Bring the family along for fun nature play activities.