Banyule Logo
Text Size:

Works within road reserve

Who is required to apply for a Works Within Road Reserve permit?

Anyone carrying out works on Council land is required to apply for a Work Within Road Reserve permit. These works include activities such as road opening, stormwater connection, vehicle crossover, drainage connection etc.

What documents are required to apply for a Works Within Road Reserve permit?

To apply for a permit the following documents are required:

¨             Works Within Road Reserve form

¨             A traffic management plan

¨             Certificate of Currency for $20,000,000 public liability.

See Related information for Generic Traffic Management Plan.

How to lodge a Works Within Road Reserve application? 

Download, print and complete the Works Within Road Reserve Form (See Related information):  post, fax or email it with required documents to:

POST -          Banyule City Council

                      PO Box94

                     GREENSBOROUGH VIC 3088

FAX -             9499 9475


How long does an application take to approve?

Once Council receives the application it takes no more than 48 hours to approve. The applicant will be notified of the approval and fee by phone. The permit is valid for 28 days from the date of payment.

What are Council’s specifications?

All works must be carried out to Council’s specifications. Download Council’s Standard Drawings and vehicle crossover specifications within Related information.

Is an inspection required?

Yes, for certain works including construction of vehicle crossover and drainage connections an inspection is required, to organise an inspection phone 9457 9852.

What are the reinstatement requirements?

All reinstatement works must be carried out to Council’s requirements. Download Council’s Reinstatement Requirements - See Related information.

Are the works on a VicRoads road?

If the works are to be carried out on a Vic Roads road a permit may be required from VicRoads before applying for a permit from Council. Download the VicRoads within Banyule document for all Vic Roads roads.

How much does a permit cost?

Council’s fees are based on Vic Roads fees. In addition it may be necessary to pay a bond prior to the commencement of works.

Have you provided all required information? (checklist)

Before lodging your form ensure the following are attached.

  • Works Within Road Reserve application with all areas filled in.
  • Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance to the amount of $20,000,000 for the contractor conducting the works.
  • Traffic Management Plan.

For more information

For more information please phone Council’s Building & Civil Works Unit on 9457 9852. Or call into one of Banyule’s customer service centres.

Was this page useful?

Type the characters you see in the picture below *