In the lead up to council elections
Published on 22 September 2020
In the lead up to the council elections, we will enter into the Election Period.
Election period dates
from 11:59pm, Tuesday 22 September 2020
to 6:00pm, Saturday 24 October 2020 (election day).
During the Election Period there are limitations on what we can publish and steps we need to take to make the election fair for everyone.
Unless there are important operational announcements, we won't be posting on social media, sending out any e-newsletters or publishing new details on our websites.
Even though this is a slightly different way of working, we're still open and we're still here to help.
During the Election Period
The Council adopted an Election Period Policy that guides the way we need to operate. The policy commits the organisation during the Election Period to:
- Avoid making significant new policies or decisions that could unreasonably bind a future council
- Ensure that public resources, including staff resources, are not used in election campaigning or in a way that may influence the result of an election, or improperly advantage any candidates in the election
- Limit public consultation and council events
- Treat councillor candidates in the same way as other candidates with respect to access to council held information
- Avoid printing, publishing, or distributing any advertisement, handbill, pamphlet or notice during an election period
- Ensure that no employee is to make any public statement that relates to an election issue.
For all the detail about what we will and will not do during the Election Period review the policy.
Download the Election Period Policy(PDF, 232KB)