Banyule Logo
Text Size:


On this page you will find information about paying your rates.

Click here for more information about Valuations.

Instalments and due dates

Council rates are payable in four instalments. The due dates are the same each year:

  • 30 September - 1st instalment
  • 30 November - 2nd instalment
  • 28 February - 3rd instalment
  • 31 May - 4th instalment

In accordance with the Local Government Act, rates and charges are to be paid by four instalments by prescribed date in order to avoid penalty interest and potential collection costs.

There is, however, nothing preventing you paying:

  • Rates and charges earlier than the due dates;
  • Larger amounts than requested on the Rates Instalment Notice;
  • The remaining balance in full at any time during the year as long as it is on or before an instalment date.

How to pay your rates

Choose the most convenient way to pay your rates:

  • Our Online Payments page - pay with paypal or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Amex, or Diners)
  • Use BPAY, an internet banking service available from your bank or credit union
  • In person at one of our customer service centres
  • In person at any Australia Post outlet.
  • Call 13 18 16 and pay by credit card (enter BILLPAY CODE 0708 and your BILLPAY REFERENCE NUMBER on the front of your notice)
  • By mail - post payments to Banyule City Council, PO Box 94, Greensborough 3088.
  • Direct Debit - arrange weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments or the instalment amount on its due date. For information about how to apply see the direct debit application form.
  • Centrepay - You can choose to have your rates payments deducted from your Centrelink benefit/payment. To set this up contact Centrelink directly.

Concessions available

Pensioners may qualify for a 50% Municipal Concession otherwise known as a rates rebate up to $229.40 for the home in which you live in, and a $50 rebate for the Fire Services property Levy.

To be eligible, you most hold at least one of the following concession cards:

  • Pensioner concession card from Centrelink or Veterans' Affairs
  • Gold Card from Department of Veterans Affairs specifying War Widow (WW) or Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI).

If you hold an EDA or POW Gold Card, you will need to claim your Municipal Concession directly from the Department of Human Services.

Please contact the Department of Human Services Helpline on 1800 658 521, for further information and assistance.

To apply for the Municipal Rates Concession

Update details on your rates notice

How rates are calculated

How your rates are calculated will be set out on your rate notice.

Valuation bases - Valuers are required to assess three bases of value:

  • Site value (SV) - The market value of the land only.
  • Capital Improved Value (CIV) - The total market value of the land plus buildings and other improvements.
  • Net Annual Value (NAV) - The current value of a property’s net annual rent (gross annual rental minus all outgoings such as land tax, building insurance and maintenance costs but excluding council rates). By law, NAV must be at least five per cent of the CIV.

Councils choose one of these valuation bases for calculating general rates. We use Capital Improved Value to determine rate charges.

The formula for calculating general rates (excluding any additional charges or arrears) is the valuation multiplied by the rate in the dollar set by the council. The dollar rate is determined as part of our budget process.

For example if the Capital Improved Value of a property is $250,000 and the council rate in the dollar is set at 0.0042 cents, the rate bill would be $1,050 ($250,000 x 0.0042).

Hardship arrangements

Council also has in place guidelines for assisting ratepayers who experience financial difficulties.

If you experience financial hardship at any time please do not hesitate to contact us on 9490 4222 and ask to speak with Revenue Services. Our staff will confidentially discuss your circumstances and options to achieve a suitable payment arrangement according to your individual circumstances.

Land Information Certificate

To apply for a Land Information Certificate access the Property Enquiry Application Form.

Ownership details request (for fencing purposes only)

If you have already made a reasonable attempt to contact your neighbour and have had no success, please use the Ownership Details Request - Fencing to apply for adjoining owners name and postal address.

Other links:

Change of Name (Online Form)

You can complete a 'change of name' form online.

Change of Address (Online Form)

If the Property has been sold a Notice of Disposition/Acquisition should be completed.

Was this page useful?

Type the characters you see in the picture below *