Banyule’s free and popular annual festival for young people, YouthFest, is back for its eighth year, with live music, activities and stalls from noon to 5pm on Sunday 17 September in Macleod Park opposite Macleod station.
YouthFest is an all ages, fully inclusive, fully supervised, alcohol and drug free event produced by Banyule Council and supported by the Victorian Government’s FReeZA program, with young people from the Banyule FReeZA committee organising and running the event.
YouthFest 2017 and includes:
- A clothing swap - run by Greenhills Community House. Bring some of your clothes that have fallen out of favour and swap them for some fresh new threads!
- Sensory friendly - open to people of all abilities, with a Social Story available online to assist people on the Autism Spectrum. There will also be noise reducing headphones, festival guides for attendees whose vision is impaired, a chill out space, and a sensory map.
- Street Skate Park - girls from the Victorian Roller Derby League will be on site to show off their moves, with a come and try opportunity. There will also be a mini skate park running skateboard workshops.
- Body art – temporary tattoos, henna, hair feathers, face painting.
- A green focus – in an effort to slash our waste footprint, we will be running a Wash Against Waste station with all food served on reusable plates so we don’t create any waste from food vendors.
- Archery – Archery Attack will be on site offering young people the chance to give archery a try.
- Sport, sport, sport - AFLW + VFL players on site from noon-2pm with skills workshops and give-aways; soccer, volley ball, boot camp, yoga and ballet bar classes throughout the day. Melbourne Stars Cricket will also bring their bowling tunnel and bus.
- Westside Circus - circus skills workshops.
- Robot soccer - Yarra Plenty Regional Library will be catering for the digitally minded with their programmable M-Bots that will battle it out on a miniature soccer pitch.
- And all the other highlights of YouthFest - food court, three music stages, Muslim prayer tents, drumming workshops, art making, and free yoghurt.
What: YouthFest 2017
Where: Macleod Park, Birdwood Ave, Macleod (next to the Macleod Train Station)
When: Noon-5pm, Sunday 17 September 2017