The Victorian Government is removing two dangerous and congested level crossings along the Hurstbridge line and duplicating the single section of track between Heidelberg and Rosanna. This will make communities safer and get commuters in Melbourne’s north east home sooner. As part of the project, construction works to build a new tunnel under Darebin Street have commenced. In the next stage of works, The Level Crossing Removal Authority will begin installing piles -foundations to support the new tunnel- then digging to construct the tunnel.
To maintain the safety of workers and the public, the Level Crossing Removal Authority must carefully manage traffic and pedestrian movements on Hawdon Street above the works and establish safe exclusion zones around the work areas. This will require extended temporary path and lane closures on Hawdon Street while piling and tunnelling works are completed.
These changes will take place from early June 2017 to December 2017.
Temporary traffic changes
- Extended temporary closure of the north-bound lane of Hawdon Street between Cartmell Street and Darebin Street.
- Extended temporary closure of the pedestrian path on the west side of Hawdon Street near the Darebin Street / Hawdon Street roundabout.
- The Level Crossing Removal Authority will sometimes need to close Hawdon Street in both directions, and the approach from the Darebin Street / Hawdon Street roundabout . In these instances clear traffic detour signage will be in place.
- Speed limits will be reduced to 40km/h near the work areas.
How this will affect you
- Traffic travelling north on Hawdon Street from Burgundy Street will be detoured via Cartmell Street, Cape Street and Darebin Street.
- When Hawdon Street is closed in both directions, southbound traffic on Hawdon Street will also be detoured via Darebin Street and Stradbroke Avenue.
- Access will be maintained for local residents in the closed section of Hawdon Street with the assistance of traffic management personnel.
- Residents in Cartmell Street may notice an increase in traffic.
- Access to the Heidelberg Presbyterian Church will be maintained from Darebin Street.
- Pedestrians and cyclists will be diverted to the path on the east side of Hawdon Street, away from the work area.
If you have any queries, please contact the Level Crossing Removal Authority on 1800 762 667 or via email email@example.com