The colour and excitement of Banyule’s free Malahang Community Festival is on again featuring music, games, competitions, markets, food and much more.
“There’s something for all tastes and interests at this much loved family friendly event that celebrates the diversity of our local community,” Banyule Mayor Cr Mark Di Pasquale said. “This area is home to so many different cultures that makes this festival so alive and colourful.”
New to this year’s festival attractions is an upcycled multicultural fashion show curated by the textile art community, Somali Modest and Glam Dress with special guest MC Najma Ali, Mrs Australia Globe 2018.
Not to be outdone, festival favourite Banyule Has Talent is back and will showcase some of the local communities’ best acts and choirs.
Food and culture collide with live cultural cooking demonstrations using donated veggies and herbs from the local community gardens, with opportunities to taste the different cuisines.
Packed to the brim with local artists, collectors and trinket sellers, the Olympic Village Makers Market will satisfy the shopaholic in anyone.
“This festival has become a favourite in our community and for good reason. It brings our diverse community together to share a festive family day of food, music, activities and multicultural discovery,” Cr Mark Di Pasquale said.
“It’s a great opportunity for local artists, community groups, traders and other organisations to interact and connect with the local community.”
Other activities at this year’s festival include:
- Circus acts, African drumming and percussion, local bands and choirs, Middle Eastern dance, Greek dancercise and more
- Art activities and making spaces to try out your artistic skills
- Food stalls and a community BBQ including vegan, Halal, vegetarian options
- Melbourne City Football Club will hosting soccer games, plus there will be volley ball, quidditch and disc golf
- Sensory safe chill out space
- Flower crowns, henna tattoo, personalise your own boomerang bag and more.
When: Sunday 18 November
Where: Malahang Reserve, Cn Southern Rd and Oriel Rd, Heidelberg West
Time: 11am – 4pm