The Ivanhoe Library and Cultural Hub is a major Council project to redevelop and revitalise the Ivanhoe Civic Precinct with improved and increased community facilities.
Council is investing $18.50 million in this project, which is expected to be completed in the 2019/2020 financial year.
The Hub, which will be connected to the existing heritage listed Ivanhoe Town Hall, will house:
- a modern accessible library
- arts gallery
- conference and meeting spaces
- maternal and child health consulting suites
- informal theatrette
Importantly, the project will sensitively respond to the heritage value of the existing Town Hall and transform this section of Upper Heidelberg Road into a vibrant place for people to congregate, connect and learn.
With community consultation an integral part of the project, we encourage you to get involved and have your say as this exciting project progresses. This page will be regularly updated, while information and community feedback will also be provided on Shaping Banyule.
Project Documents and Fact Sheets
Ivanhoe Civic Precinct Master Plan and Ivanhoe Structure Plan
The Ivanhoe Civic Precinct Master Plan, which first went out for community consultation in early 2014, establishes the guiding framework for developing the civic precinct, a project first flagged in the Ivanhoe Structure Plan.
What is happening with this project?
- Community consultation is ongoing – visit shaping.banyule.vic.gov.au throughout this project to view the latest consultation topics, have your say and sign up for project updates.
- Draft concept plans have been produced (see below), with further work and community consultation now occurring to develop detailed designs. Please note that conceptual design is the very first stage of the design process where drawings and other illustrations are used to help describe the aims, and look and feel, of buildings to help generate community and Council commentary. The detailed design phase considers all feedback received about the concepts and refines designs so that plans, specifications and estimates can be created. Once completed, the detailed designs will go out for community consultation prior to consideration by Council.
The latest concept plans and renders
The following concept plans and renders are concepts only and are not the final plans or renders for the Hub. They provide a basis upon which Council and the community can comment so that final designs, taking into consideration feedback, can be prepared.
A hub with a clear community vision
Plans for the Hub are being developed around a clear vision for services and facilities that meet community needs and expectations for this iconic site.
- As a cultural connector - an important and inclusive cultural asset welcoming and supporting existing and new residents while telling a story of the local area and its history and identity.
- As a community living room - welcoming people to a comfortable and safe place, which provides a range of formal, informal and spontaneous spaces.
- Supporting creativity, sustainability, education and technology – a sustainably designed hub supporting creativity, lifelong learning, and performance with extensive and creative use of technology.
- Heritage significance and local identity – a redevelopment that strengthens and supports the existing Town Hall, with its strong architectural identity and heritage value, and provides a strong focus for community engagement within the Upper Heidelberg Road shopping strip.
- Flexibility and spaces to meet different needs – with different zones for different uses, from quiet to participatory spaces, and supporting after hours activities.
- Urban regeneration – increasing public use and activity within the landscaped public outdoor area and ensuring a connection with the broader Ivanhoe precinct strategy.