Banyule Logo
Text Size:

Complaints Management

How to provide feedback or make a complaint

We are committed to working with the community to improve service.

In many instances you can provide feedback or complain by contacting is in several ways:

  • Call us on 9490 4222.
  • Send an email to
  • By completing a suggestion card at one of our three service centres.
  • In writing (Freepost) by mail to: Community Comment, PO Box 94, Freepost 6, Greensborough, 3088.
  • By clicking on the feedback widget at the bottom of most pages on the website.

Please provide us with as much information as possible so we can effectively address your feedback or concern. If you need help, we can assist or provide you with an interpreter.

What we will do

We will send you a letter with details of who is managing your feedback or concern and tell you how long we expect it will take to respond to you.  If delays occur we will let you know.  You can also contact the person who is managing your feedback or concern to check on its progress. Once we have investigated your complaint you will receive a letter providing you with a response.

Complaints resolution process

In addressing your feedback or concern, we will complete the following: 

Stage 1

When we receive your feedback or complaint, we will record it and try to resolve it immediately, where possible.

Stage 2

When a complaint cannot be resolved immediately, the complaint will be referred to an appropriate council officer. If you are not satisfied with the response or the way in which your feedback or complaint has been handled, you can ask for your complaint to be referred for an internal review.

Stage 3

Internal Review: An internal review will be carried out by a senior manager. If you remain dissatisfied with the result, you can refer your complaint to an external agency for an independent review.

Stage 4

External review: If you are not satisfied with Council’s final response, you can contact the Ombudsman’s Office and/or other external agencies to request an independent review. The Ombudsman’s Office can be contacted by:

Phoning:  9613 6222 Toll Free: 1800 806 314 (regional only)
TTY (for people with hearing or speech impairment) on 133 677 or 1300 555 727
Interpreter service via telephone: 131 450 or on-site: 1300 655 082

Writing to:
Ombudsman Victoria
Level 2, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne  Victoria  3000

Protecting personal information

Council respects all personal and confidential information you give us and will do everything possible to protect information from unauthorised access, loss or misuse. 

Information is collected from many different sources such as electoral rolls, rates and pet registration databases, specific user groups and e-mail. This information may be used by Council to conduct market research and customer satisfaction surveys so that we better understand community needs and can improve service delivery. It is not our policy to share the information collected with other organisations.

We will record your details if you send us an enquiry, a customer request or community comment. These will be used for Council purposes and will not be disclosed without your consent.

Should you need to change your personal details, please send your changes to Banyule City Council, PO Box 94, Greensborough 3088

Was this page useful?

Type the characters you see in the picture below *