The Banyule Multicultural Advisory Committee (BMAC) provides advice on multicultural issues and concerns of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities and on developing and implementing Council’s Inclusion, Access and Equity Framework and Multicultural Plan. The committee was first established on 3 March 2014.
On 19 December 2016, new committee members were appointed for the new term of the Banyule Multicultural Advisory Committee. The committee is appointed for a two year term and meets bimonthly.
- Provide feedback and advice to Council on its policies, plans and services that impact Multicultural communities
- Consider and provide advice on key Government initiatives, programs and reviews that impact on Multicultural communities
- Advocate on behalf of Multicultural communities
- Consider funding and other opportunities as they may arise
- Assist Council to promote the benefits of diversity and enhance understanding about the barriers to equality facing Multicultural communities
- Provide advice to Council in relation to its communication, engagement and consultation with Multicultural communities
There are no openings at present on the committee. The current members were appointed on 19 December 2016.
All positions are voluntary positions.
All members are to be familiar with and adhere to the terms of reference.
Representation and make up
The committee consists of a mix of community members and representatives of community organisations, agencies and service providers who focus on supporting multicultural communities.
Banyule Multicultural Advisory Committee for 2017-19:
- Cr Mark Di Pasquale
- Cr Tom Melican
- Shail Maheshwari
- Ryoko Williams
- Anushka Phal
- Uzma Rubab
- Nagat Abdalla
- Hedi Azadi
- Jason Xin
President, Melbourne North East Chinese Community Incorporated
- Faisal Shehata
President, Heidelberg El Sedeaq Mosque
- Liz Wyndham
- Veronica Kioria
Diamond Valley Learning Centre
- Rosemary Crosthwaite
Olympic Adult Education
- Romy Vitalen
Spectrum Migrant Resource Centre
- Albert Fatileh
- Abdiaziz Farah
Somali Australia Council of Victoria & Himlo Community Connect Project
Send an email to India Mortlock or call 9490 4377.