The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander advisory committee provides advice on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues and on implementing Council’s Inclusion, Access and Equity Framework and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Plan.
- Provide feedback and advice to Council on its policies, plans and services that are seen to impact Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities;
- Consider and provide advice on key Government initiatives, programs and reviews;
- Advocate on behalf of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities;
- Consider funding and other opportunities as they may arise;
- Assist Council to promote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures within the Banyule municipality and beyond; and
- Provide advice to Council regarding its communication, engagement and consultation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
There are no openings at present on the committee.
All positions are voluntary positions.
All members are to be familiar with and adhere to the terms of reference.
Representation and make up
The committee consists of up to 15 community members and a minimum of 2 councillors. Support and assistance will be provided to the committee by one of our officers.
Council will appoint one councillor as chairperson of the committee and at least one councillor as substitute chairperson.
Community members appointed to the committee will include representation from:
- local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members;
- community organisations, agencies and service providers that have a focus on provision of services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in Banyule
- • A representative from the Wurundjeri Tribe Lands and Compensation Heritage Council Incorporated (as a consultant)
With the exception of an appointed Wurundjeri representative, all positions are voluntary positions.
Send an email to Community and Social Planning or call 9490 4222.