The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander advisory committee provides advice on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues and on implementing Council’s Inclusion, Access and Equity Framework and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Plan.
- Provide feedback and advice to Council on its policies, plans and services that are seen to impact Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities;
- Consider and provide advice on key Government initiatives, programs and reviews;
- Advocate on behalf of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities;
- Consider funding and other opportunities as they may arise;
- Assist Council to promote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures within the Banyule municipality and beyond; and
- Provide advice to Council regarding its communication, engagement and consultation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
Follow the listed steps to be considered for the committee as we're looking to fill several vacancies.
- Read the terms of reference; and
- Lodge your expressions of interest by 30 January 2019.
All positions are voluntary positions.
Representation and make up
The committee consists of up to 15 community members and a minimum of 2 councillors. Support and assistance will be provided to the committee by one of our officers.
Community members appointed to the committee will include representation from:
- local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members;
- community organisations, agencies and service providers that have a focus on provision of services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in Banyule
- A representative from the Wurundjeri Tribe Lands and Compensation Heritage Council Incorporated (as a consultant)
Get in touch with the committee contact Catherine Simcox at firstname.lastname@example.org or 9490 4365.