Making a complaint

A complaint is a way to let us know that you are unhappy with:

  • the quality of an action we have taken
  • a decision that we (or service provider engaged by us) have made
  • a delay or our failure in taking an action, making a decision or providing a service
  • a policy we (or service provider engaged by us) have made.

Complaints and resolution process

Provide us with as much information as possible so we can address your concern. We respect the need to manage and protect your privacy.

Submit a complaint

There are different ways to make a complaint:

In the majority of cases, complaints can be resolved by immediate resolution.

Step 1.Contacts us

Use any of the contact options available to advise us of your complaint.

Step 2.Immediate resolution

A relevant manager will address your complaint immediately, or may send a request to an officer to action.

For example, with a missed bin, our waste operations team will be prompted to go and empty the bin.

Step 3.Action taken or scheduled

The relevant manager advises you via your preferred method of communication that action has been action taken or scheduled.

Step 4.Customer response

You are satisfied that your complaint is resolved.

If you are unsatisfied with the action taken, you may request further investigation into the matter.

Investigation and review

If your complaint did not have immediate resolution, it will progress through 3 steps until you are satisfied that it has been resolved.

Step 1.Investigation

If we are unable to resolve your complaint immediately, we will refer it to a manager or delegated council officer for investigation.

We will acknowledge your complaint within 10 business days, following our service promise.

We will provide a resolution to your complaint within 28 days, or advise you if extra time is required.

Step 2.Internal review

If you remain dissatisfied of the outcome, you may request an internal review with our Customer Experience and Business Improvement team.

A director will be assigned to review the previous action taken to ensure consistency and fairness.

You will be contacted by the director with an update on the findings.

Step 3.External review

If you still remain unsatisfied after an internal review, you can contact the Victoria Ombudsman for further advice.

Contact us

If you need help, we can assist or provide you with an interpreter.

Call us on 9490 4222 or write us at