Residential noise

In residential areas, an acceptable level of noise for one person may be unacceptable to another. It can also depend on the time of the day and the nature of the noise.

To find out what is reasonable and what is not, go to EPA: Prohibited times for residential noise.

Dealing with unwanted noise

If you are finding your neighbours noisy, talk to them to find a solution together. They may be unaware that they are making unreasonable noise or that they are disturbing you. Talking to them can lead to changes that benefit you both. If the problem is ongoing and you are in dispute with your neighbour, contact the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria for free and confidential assistance.

Types of noise: who can help?

If you are affected by noise, please contact Council during office hours on 9490 4222 to determine whether they can help. Council may be able to assist you if the noise can be deemed to be a nuisance pursuant to the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. The noise would need to be a nuisance, and also dangerous or offensive to health.

Barking dogs

Barking dogs can ruin your day. Find out how you can deal with a barking dog in your neighbourhood, starting with talking to the owner, then lodging a complaint.

Our Local Laws team can help with barking dogs.

Loud music or party noise

Noise from noisy music or parties after hours should be referred to the police: they can deal with the noise as it is occurring.

Industrial and commercial noise

Noise complaints from industrial and commercial premises may be referred to the Environmental Protection Authority.

They will consider:

  • the level of the noise
  • the amenity of the area
  • any permit the company has allowing them to operate.

If you are affected by noise from industrial or commercial premises contact our Health Services Unit on 9490 4222.