Home care for people under 65 years

Council provides services designed to support you, or the person you care for, to live independently at home.

Who's eligible

If you are under 65 years of age (under 50 years of age for Aboriginal and Torres Islander People) you may be able to access the Home and Community Care Program (HACC PYP) to assist you to remain living safely and independently at home.

Eligibility for services is not based solely on age, but on the level of difficulty a person experiences in carrying out tasks of daily living.

You may need to have a face-to-face assessment of your care needs to find out if you are eligible.

Everyone who has an assessment and is found to need services, is eligible to access services that:

  • may be partly or fully funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services
  • are regulated by the Department of Health and Human Services.


Help at home

  • personal care like help showering, getting dressed and grooming
  • modifications to your home, such as hand rails or ramps
  • meals
  • household jobs like cleaning or gardening.

Short-term help

If you have had a setback and need some and help to regain your independence you might be eligible for services. This might be after an accident, illness, or a hospital stay. It could also be when you or your carer needs a break (respite care).

If you’re not assessed as eligible, or are waiting for services, you can access privately-funded services at any time. 

Eligibility, assessments or other questions?

Chat to our assessments team on 9490 4222