We're encouraging buskers to perform in various shopping precincts throughout Banyule until 31 January 2018 as part of an extended pilot.
Busking is not just musical performance, we define it within our Local Law as:
“entertainment that includes playing a musical instrument, singing, conjuring, juggling, mime, mimicry, dance, puppetry, performance art, pavement drawing of any form, recitation and other appropriate theatrical and visual forms.”
Note that there are very strict protocols in place to protect the safety of buskers who are minors. Buskers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent/or guardian at all times.
Apply for a permit
- Complete the busking application form.
- Provide a copy of supporting documentation.
- Photo identification.
For minors (under the age of 16), a parents/guardians photo identification will do and/or Student card (which are issued to secondary school students).
Other forms of ID, such as a Medicare card or birth certificate, are also accepted.
- For minors, written and signed consent from parent or adult guardian.
- If you have your own insurance, a copy of your valid certificate of currency for performing in Australia.
- Pay the permit fee - bring all your documentation and completed application form to one of our Customer Service Centres.
- $30 per permit for 30 days (until 31 January 2018).
- If you have current public liability insurance valid for performance in Australia .a copy of your certificate of currency is required with your application.
- Buskers that do not have their own insurance are covered by Council’s liability insurance.
The locations for any busking activity during this extended pilot can be found on the interactive map covering Eaglemont, Heidelberg, Heidelberg West, Ivanhoe, Ivanhoe East, Greensborough, Lower Plenty, Macleod, Montmorency, Rosanna and Watsonia.