Banyule's annual kids arts festival where everyone gets to play, create, experiment and have fun!
Sunday 18 March 2018
10am - 11am - Grand Parade down Burgundy Street Heidelberg
11am - 4pm - Kids ArtyFarty Fest at Sills Bend
Sills Bend - Warringal Parklands
The Kids ArtyFarty Fest is a magnificent event that gives kids the opportunity to experience and explore arts practice in all its various forms.
Activities, workshops, food, performances, storytelling, games and more... all set in a quiet patch of bushland alongside the Yarra River.
The Festival kicks off with the Grand Parade, marching down Burgundy Street Heidelberg, and continues with a day of creativity and entertainment in the park at Sills Bend.
Come and be part of one of Melbourne's longest running children's events, filled with inspiring activities and performances that are exciting, colourful and even perhaps a little strange.
Image is linked to a larger map identifying where things are at. Details associated with all locations/numbers on the map are listed beyond the image.
Activities and area details
- Homefront project
Preview of Banyule's latest public art project.
- Poppies for peace
Art installation by Robina Summers and Margaret Summerton.
- Bike tours and repair workshops
Presented by our Sustainable Homes and Communities program with supervised bike parking by BUG.
- The art of collection
Presented by our Rethink Centre. Come visit our rubbish truck and see how it works!
- Vicky the truck
Presented by the Victorian Government. Vicky provides an interactive digital experience and is travelling the state as part of the Victoria. And Proud of it campaign.
- Refuge community art project
Design your perfect shelter with our resident artists, Mat Vaughan and Nicki Letts.
- Face painting and fun
Presented by WaterMarc.
- Mobile library
Sponsored by Yarra Plenty Regional Library, visit the giant Mobile Library and enjoy the wonder of books.
- Banyule Leisure snack stop
Make your own little healthy snack to munch on as you explore the festival.
- Tina's tiny theatre
View a miniature play performed inside a box!
- Sensory chill out zone
Presented by our Metro Access Unit. This is a space to get some respite from the craziness of the festival.
- Typewriter poet
Watch while a poet writes a special poem just for you on a typewriter.
- Busy hands art tent
Bring your imagination and get busy with the Textile Art Community, upcycle rubbish with Trash Puppets, and listen to story tellers while you work.
- You-me-us art project
Presented by our Children's Services area. You-me-us make a Community Diorama.
- Acorn tree house
Presented by our Children's Services area. A perfect spot for your little acorns to play and learn. With a sandpit, art and crafts, and boards to draw visions of the future.
- Discovery land
Presented by our Environment team. Get involved with the team and learn something new, make some craft, hear stories and get some plants for your garden.
- Canvas Bags
Presented by our Environment team. Decorate and take home your own tote bag.
- Water bugs
Presented by our Environment tea. Learn about the tiny critters that live in our waterways.
- Miles cardboard city
Sponsored by Miles Real Estate. Design and build your own cardboard house, cubby, ship or castle. Join it up with others to make a cardboard city.
- Jets Disco
Presented by our creative studio Jets. A pop-up, fun pop disco under a beautiful oak tree.
- Join the circus tent
Westside Circus will perform and teach circus skills to kids of all ages throughout the day. Yay!
- Dynamic sand art
Sand art is a great activity where you can create wonderful designs with sand.
- Face painting
Get your face painted by one of our talented artists.
- Boat rides
With the Ivanhoe Sea Scouts. Come join a crew of scallywags for adventures on the river!
Common Ground Tipi
Presented by Miles Real Estate
Hosted by Miss Ellaneous - our cheeky, Vaudevillian Circus Aficionado
- 11.15-11.30am - North East Melbourne Chinese Association dancers
- Traditional Chinese dancing and drummer
- 11.35-11.45am - Jennifer Walker
- Winner of the 2017 'Banyule has Talent' competition
- 12.10-12.30pm - Zabelle Belly Dancing
- Let Zabelle take you on a journey through Middle Eastern dance
- 12.35-1.05pm - Niki na Meadhra
- Watch and listen as Niki enchants you with Celtic tales
- 1.10-1.30pm - Kinneman dancing spirit troupe
- Our local Heidelberg West Aboriginal dance group will demonstrate and teach you some traditional dance moves
- 1.35-1.45pm - Bundoora Primrary School Auslan Choir
- The school teaches Auslan as a second language and will perform 3 songs
- 1.50-2.10pm - Walter Kadiki
- 2.15-2.35pm - The Skulls
- Mariachi brass band of puppeteers perform in true Mardi Gras style
- 2.40-3.10pm - Kultre Shock
- Omer Parvaiz on guitar with Turkish dancing
- 3.15-3.35pm - Walter Kadiki
Get Moving Tent
This space will get you up and active!
Featuring interactive dancing and movement activities.
- 11.05-11.25am - Cook Island community dancers
- 11.30-12.00am - Anti Gravity with Colin Bogars
- 12.05-12.25pm - Kulture Shock with Omar Prevais
- 12.30-12.50pm - Roving performer
- 12.55-1.15pm - The Skulls
- 1.25-1.55pm - Calm4kids yoga
- 2.00-2.20pm - Roving performer
- 2.25-2.45pm - Roving performer
- 2.50-3.20pm - Lotus Middle Eastern dancing
- 3.25-3.55pm - Calm4kids yoga
Busy Hands Art Tent
Featuring activities and performances by:
- The Textile Art Community
- Trash Puppets
- Niki na Meadhra - Celtic storytelling
- Learn to paint with Aboriginal artists... and much more!
- Look for information and times on boards in front of the tent.
Westside Circus takes over this tent for a full day of performances, acrobatics, circus skills and serious fun! Let your inner clown or acrobat out - you know you want to!
- Garry and Glenda Green Recycling Team
- New Heights Circus Stiltwalker
- Alia's Middle Eastern Dancers
- North East Melbourne Chinese Association Dancers
- The Connies
- Festive Factory Puppet... and more!
Parking is limited for both the parade and festival.
Sills Bend is near Heidelberg Station and the 903 bus route.
Trains are not running with buses replacing trains on the Hurstbridge Line until May 2018.
Shuttle Bus (Free)
Catch a free shuttle bus (Mee’s Bus Lines) from Heidelberg station, Bell St Mall or Olympic Village to the Kids ArtyFarty Fest and back.
To Sills Bend, Heidelberg
Bell St Mall
Departing Sills Bend, Heidelberg
*Drop offs in Heidelberg West
Walk, run or ride
Ride or walk to the event along the Main Yarra Trail.
The Banyule Bicycle User Group is also providing free supervised bike parking.
Auslan interprators will be visible at the Common Ground Tipi all day.
The Phonic Ear system is available, as well as accessible toilets, and a recharge point for motorised scooters and electric wheelchairs.
Limited accessible parking is available for people with a disabled parking permit.
Note: The Festival is set in a park which includes rough terrain and unpaved paths.
Breastfeeding is welcome at the Parents Retreat, hosted by The Australian Breastfeeding Association.
Check out 2016 festival photos here.
Stallholder applications for Kids ArtyFarty Fest 2017 are now closed.
If you wish to be notified of future opportunities please email email@example.com with "Stallholder Opportunities" in the subject.
Follow us on Facebook to stay up to date with the latest arts and culture news and opportunities.
Subscribe to our e-News. Please ensure you choose 'Arts & Culture' in your preferences.
Bendigo Bank, Heidelberg Central Traders, Miles Real Estate, Mee's Bus Lines, Ivanhoe Foot Posture Clinic
If you are interested in sponsoring the Kids ArtyFarty Fest please contact Festival Officer, Margaret Summerton on 9457 9936.