Neighbourhood Street Party grants
The annual theme for Neighbour Day 2020 is 'Social connection'.
Neighbour Day aims to build better relationships with the people who live around us, especially the elderly and vulnerable. Neighbours are important because good relationships with others can transform communities. Social connection also makes us feel better: preventing loneliness, isolation and depression. Neighbour Day brings together like minded people, resources and organisations to grow stronger, well-connected communities and to make us all feel better about the world.
One $600 grant is available each year. Funding can be used for a range of purposes, including entertainment, catering expenses, children’s activities and hire of equipment.
- Applications open: 17 December 2019
- Applications close: 31 January 2020
- Outcome notification: 14 February 2020
- Submission of grant agreement: 2 March 2020
- Event held: 29 March 2020
- Acquittal due: 30 April 2020
Applications will be accepted from individuals and groups of residents who meet the following conditions:
- application is submitted online using Smartygrants
- applicant must be 18 years or older
- applicant must reside in Banyule
- street party must be held in Banyule on Sunday 29 March 2020.
Preference will be given to applicants:
- where a minimum of 8 households will be involved
- that have not received previous funding from Council for a party
- where supplies for the street party will be purchased from a Banyule based business
- who plan to run smoke free events in line with Council's smoke free policy.
What the grant will not fund:
- purchase of alcohol
- use of balloons (in accordance with Council's no balloon policy).
Applications will be assessed by a panel comprising Council officers. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by 14 February 2020. Unsuccessful applicants can still access free assistance with street closure and public liability insurance.
How to apply
Neighbourhood Street Party Grant
The event permit application must be lodged once the applicant is notified of their success. That the event permit may take up to 5 weeks to be issued.
Neighbourhood Street Party Event Permit Application
Applicants must gain agreement from neighbours to hold the street party.
A grant agreement be completed and lodged on Smartygrants by 2 March 2020.
The acquittal form, including copies of receipts, photos and any other supporting documentation, must be submitted on line by 30 April 2020.